BOW – BODIES OF WORK
Limassol, Cyprus, From October 2nd to October 6th 2019
Deadline for submitting a request for participation:
May 8th, 2019, at 1pm (Italian time)
1 – DESCRIPTION
BOW – Bodies Of Work is a five-day intensive training program organized by Dance House Lemesos, supported by the Cultural Services-Ministry of Education and Culture of Cyprus and developed in collaboration with BJCEM – Biennial of Young Artists from Europe and the Mediterranean.
On this occasion, the research group of the project A Natural Oasis?, curators of the forthcoming Mediterranea 19 Young Artists Biennale (October 2020, Republic of San Marino) will take part to the activities of the workshop in the frame of their curatorial research in preparation of the 2020 Biennale. The workshop and its results will be presented during the Biennale as well.
During the workshop, participants will be introduced to specific creative and research tools and will be encouraged to developed artistic discourses that allow to articulate the question of embodiment: how social bodies, labouring bodies, political bodies which are put “to work” in performance are able to mirror the complex relationships between subjectivities in motion and their environments?
The activities of the workshops are rooted in a social and geopolitical understanding of the bodies and their mobility. In this perspective, we will look at how geographical, social, artistic boundaries are affected, transformed, through the constant shift and relocation of the bodies in a possible transnational space.
Contemporary artists are hyper-nomadic bodies led to artistically engage with multiple social infrastructures at the same time. In this sense, artists are among the most powerful agents of the redefinition of static cultural identities. Their practices are often able to create “spaces in between” and new forms of visual and performed “citizenship” where new alliances between different cultural and social bodies take shape.
The workshop will be organized in the same period of Open House Festival therefore the artists selected will have the chance to attend as public to the performances that will be performed by local and international artists.
Starting points to be considered:
- In an artistic community that is constantly increasing – where the artists travel and share their work globally – is it possible to define “artistic territories”?
- Is it relevant for an artist to eradicate their “roots” and to define the outcome of their artistic work within a geographical and cultural frame?
- How artistic practices can initiate dialogues and alliances between bodies?
- What does it take for the artist to adjust in new locations and destinations? How does this affect their artistic work?
2 – APPLICATION PROCEDURE
The call is open to visual and performance artists with a strong research interest in trans-disciplinary approaches to the body in movement and the performing body, aged up to 35 (born from January 1st 1984).
Applicants must be coming from or living in Euro-Mediterranean Countries.
Applicants must send:
- A) portfolio (compressed Pdf, Quick Time or MP3 formats of max. 6MB. Dropbox or WeTransfer links are accepted as well).
- B) motivational letter, proving their specific interest in the program with a focus on the starting points indicated above (max. 1 page).
- C) application form, that can be downloaded here
All the documents must be sent in English
All the requested documents (portfolio, motivational letter and application form) shall be sent to email@example.com not later May 8th 2019, at 1 pm Italian time. Any application not complying with the requirements will be automatically rejected.
3 – SELECTION MODALITIES
The dossiers will be evaluated at their incontestable discretion by the Artistic Curator Alexis Vassiliou and the Artistic Advisors Alessandro Castiglioni and Simone Frangi.
4 – TERMS
- The participation to this call is free of charge.
- Each candidate participates individually and no artists collectives are allowed.
- No fee will be provided to the selected artists.
- This call and the participation in the project Bodies of Work do not preclude the possibility to apply for future BJCEM national and/or international calls with different personal projects. All artists who have already participated in the previous editions of the Biennale or BJCEM projects can apply to this call. Priority will be given to artists that have never attended previous BJCEM events.
- The participants will be selected during the weeks following the deadline for application detailed in the announcement and the selection results will be communicated immediately on BJCEM website (bjcem.org). Only the selected participants will be contacted by email.
- Travel costs for artists coming from Cyprus, Montenegro, Lebanon, Norway, Sicily Region (Italy) will be covered by the partners of the project. Artists coming from the other Euro-Mediterranean Countries has to cover by themselves the travel costs, contacting BJCEM executive office in case they need invitation letters or useful documents to be used to find a sponsor or apply for a travel grant.
- Dance House Lemesos will cover the accommodation’s costs of all selected artists for 5 nights: Artists have to arrive on October 1st and leave on October 6th. Artists will be hosted in double rooms. The meals for all selected artists will be covered for 5 days, the transfers from and to the airport in Cyprus will be provided too.
5 – PRIVACY AND AUTHORIZATION TO USE INFORMATION
By completing the participation form, each participant authorizes the printing, publication and exhibition, free of charge, of the images of the works by the promoters.
6 – FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
BJCEM Executive Office | firstname.lastname@example.org | +39 011 19504733 | www.bjcem.org